Strategic Planning as a Council and Elected Official
By Tim Duhamel, Wayne Rothe
Learn the basics of effective strategic planning and how a strategic plan can further council’s community vision. This webinar guides elected officials through the entire strategic planning process!
- Strategic Planning 101 (concept explained)
- Community vision – importance (priority focus areas vs. objectives)
- How to get the most out of your strategic planning session – successful facilitation includes gaining an understanding of municipal challenges, opportunities, elected official goals, and their ultimate vision for the community
- Collaboration tips for success in developing a shared Council vision
- How to effectively transform the strategic plan into administrative action – successful strategic planning is only successful when actions are clearly linked to strategic goals
- Measuring performance of the strategic plan – having tools to measure the achievement of strategic plan goals and objectives is essential for success
February 25, 2021
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM MST
PD Credits: 1.0
Date: Feb 25, 2021
Time:1:00 PM – 2:00 PM MST
PD Credits: 1.0
Updated: Feb 25, 2021
About the Author
Tim Duhamel is the founder and President of Bloom Centre of
He is a municipal veteran whose career has spanned over 21 years.
His passion is creating educational material and conducting lectures for municipal professionals. He has lectured as far away as Kiev, Ukraine for the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.
About the Author
Wayne Rothe has been a Councillor in Spruce Grove, Alberta for 25 years.
He is the longest serving council member in the city’s history and recipient of the Alberta Urban Municipalities Association’s Distinguished Service Award.
His passion is open, accessible government with a commitment to always acting in the best interest of the community at large.
Strategic planning is a critical process that leads to the achievement of municipal goals and a community vision and is the most important exercise any municipality can undertake. Having an effective strategic planning process that clearly identifies priorities and objectives is essential to success. Learn how to make a community vision come alive through quality strategic planning.
Also covered: the pros and cons of strategic planning, how to get the most out of your strategic planning session, collaboration tips for success in developing a shared Council vision, how to effectively transform the strategic plan into administrative action, and measuring performance of the strategic plan.
Learn the fundamentals of successful strategic planning and how to utilize them to their full potential to energize your municipality
Learn how to make a community vision come alive through quality strategic planning
Learn tips and best practices for strategic plan facilitation to get the most out of your strategic plan
Collaboration tips for success in developing a shared Council vision
Learn how to ensure administrative action is taken on strategic plan goals to ensure Council’s vision is achieved
Learn how to measure the strategic plan on the journey to reaching a community vision
Who Should Attend?
A unique professional development experience that has benefit for all municipal staff, including small, medium and large municipalities!
The webinar focus is on the professional development needs of municipal elected officials. CAO’s and senior administrators who deal with the governance process will also benefit.
BLOOM can customize courses for your needs.
Some topics include:
Questions? Get in touch…