Funding Strategies for Large Scale Projects
By Tim Duhamel
This course covers funding methodologies for large scale projects including cash flow financing, intermunicipal cost sharing, debt financing, grant usage and reserve planning.
- Capital Plan Priorities – planning for large scale projects requires a thorough review of long-term capital priorities
- Capital Plan Funding Pool – funding strategies for large scale projects requires an understanding of all funding sources available
- Large Scale Project Funding Strategy – use of grants, reserves, debt, and other funding sources requires a strategic approach
- Cash Flow Funding – large scale projects can take years to build which provides an opportunity for cash flow funding/financing
- Large Scale Funding Plan Justification – inflation avoidance, inter-generational equity, and legacy strategies
- Inter-municipal Cost Share Agreements – large scale projects often serve multiple municipalities in a region
PD Credits: 1.5
Updated: Feb 16, 2022
About the Author
Tim Duhamel is the founder and President of Bloom Centre of
He is a municipal veteran whose career has spanned over 21 years.
His passion is creating educational material and conducting lectures for municipal professionals. He has lectured as far away as Kiev, Ukraine for the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.
Planning for large scale projects requires a thorough review of long-term capital priorities and an understanding of all funding sources available in the context of the long-term capital plan. Learn how to rate large scale capital projects, about the funding pool concept, and how to forecast grants, reserves, and debt capacity.
This webinar will include a special section on presenting financial strategies to council and the public.
Learn how to rate large scale capital projects in the context of a long-term capital plan
Learn the funding pool concept and how to forecast grants, reserves, and debt capacity
Learn how to develop strategies that encompass these funding sources
Learn how to match the cash flow requirements for construction to future funding sources
Learn how to justify large scale projects to council and the public
Covers methodologies on how to develop and negotiate cost share agreements for large scale projects