Developer Levies 101
By Tim Duhamel
Municipal Land Development Essentials. Learn the basic fundamentals for land development in Municipalities!
- Relationship of the business of land development and municipalities
- Overview of statutory plans
- Roles and responsibility in land use planning
- Municipal Development Plan (MDP)
- Area Structure Plan (ASP)
- Linkage of long term tax strategy, capital budget/planning and operating budget
- Land Use Bylaw
- New MGA – offsite development charges explained
- Offsite levies defined – offsite vs. onsite infrastructure
- Math behind development charges explained
- Development risks
- Offsite levy bylaw
- Basic accounting for levies
- Communication with the public
PD Credits: 1.5
Updated: Aug 14, 2019
About the Author
Tim Duhamel is the founder and President of Bloom Centre of
He is a municipal veteran whose career has spanned over 21 years.
His passion is creating educational material and conducting lectures for municipal professionals. He has lectured as far away as Kiev, Ukraine for the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.
One of the most important responsibilities of municipal government is the responsible and effective management of land. Having a fundamental understanding of how land plays a role in the business of municipal government is essential.
Land use planning is an essential competency for any municipality’s long term sustainability!
Relationship of the business of land development and municipalities
What statutory plans are and their purpose
Roles and responsibility in land use planning: Council, administration, finance
Municipal Development Plan (MDP) – basic purpose, legislation
Area Structure Plan (ASP) – basic purpose
Linkage of long term tax strategy, capital budget/planning and the operating budget to land development
Land Use Bylaw – purpose, concept – permitted and discretionary use
New MGA – offsite development charges explained, allowable infrastructure
Offsite levies – offsite vs. onsite infrastructure, determining developer responsibility for infrastructure
Math behind development charges explained – how to calculate development charges, inputs required, capital, debt charges, inflation and land base
Development risks – how to identify, measure and communicate risk effectively
Offsite levy bylaw – structure, inputs, levy collections
Basic accounting for levies
How to communicate with the public – transparency and accountability